Tutorial: Adding a Notes Field to Your Invoice Template
A Notes field on the invoice template allows you to enter any text when creating invoices, and save the text along with your invoices to the backend database. Starting from Version 2.6 Build 1010, the standard invoice template included in Excel Invoice Manager includes the Notes field.
If you are using an invoice template customized from the standard invoice template included in the earlier versions of Excel Invoice Manager, you may want to add the Notes field to the invoice template by yourself. Here are the detailed steps.
- Copy the standard invoice template (INVOICE.xls) in the data file folder of Excel Invoice Manager, or copy your customized version of the invoice template, to create a backup of your template.
- Open the template in Microsoft Excel.
- Unprotect the Customizing the Invoice Template. worksheet. For information about how to do this in Excel, see
- Switch the invoice template into design mode. For information about how to do this in Excel, see Customizing the Invoice Template.
In design mode, Excel Invoice Manager does not react to the click events on the ActiveX objects.
- Scroll down the worksheet until you find the empty area on the bottom of the worksheet.
- Drag your mouse to select all the empty cells in which you want to put the notes text.
- In Excel 2000 - 2003, click the button on the toolbar; In Excel 2007/2010, click the button in the group of the tab.
- Name the big/merged cell . To do this, click the name box at the left end of the formula bar, and then enter " .
- Right click the merged cell and choose from the menu.
- Switch to the tab and clear the box.
- Switch to the tab. You may like to set the option to , set the option to . Check the option.
- Switch to the tab. Set the border type as needed.
- Set other options as needed.
- Click to close the dialog box.
- Enter a text label for the newly created notes field, e.g. or .
- The maximal length of a text field in the backend database is 255 characters. You can create a Data Validation
to limit the number of characters that can be entered into the notes field. To do this in Excel 2000 - 2003, click Excel menu
In thebox, choose . In the box enter , and in the box enter . Set other validation options as needed.
-> ; Or, in Excel 2007/2010,
go to the tab and in the group click .
- When finishing your customization work, exit design mode and protect the worksheet again.
- For more information about customizing the template, please see Customizing the Invoice Template.