This version of the document, "Adding a Notes Field", was written for Excel Invoice Manager, which was now renamed to Uniform Invoice Software. For the latest version of this document, please download Uniform Invoice Software.
A Notes field on the invoice template allows you to enter any text when creating invoices, and save the text along with your invoices to the backend database. Starting from Version 2.6 Build 1010, the standard invoice template included in Excel Invoice Manager includes the Notes field.
If you are using an invoice template customized from the standard invoice template included in the earlier versions of Excel Invoice Manager, you may want to add the Notes field to the invoice template by yourself. Here are the detailed steps.
- Copy the standard invoice template (INVOICE.xls) in the data file folder of Excel Invoice Manager, or copy your customized version of the invoice template, to create a backup of your template.
- Open the template in Microsoft Excel.
- Unprotect the Invoice worksheet. For information about how to do this in Excel, see Customizing the Invoice Template.
- Switch the invoice template into design mode. For information about how to do this in Excel, see Customizing the Invoice Template.
In design mode, Excel Invoice Manager does not react to the click events on the ActiveX objects.
- Scroll down the Invoice worksheet until you find the empty area on the bottom of the Invoice worksheet.
- Drag your mouse to select all the empty cells in which you want to put the notes text.
Select cells (Click to enlarge)
- In Excel 2000 - 2003, click the Merge and Center button on the Formatting toolbar; In Excel 2007/2010, click the Merge & Center button in the Alignment group of the Home tab.
- Name the big/merged cell oknNotes. To do this, click the name box at the left end of the formula bar, and then enter "oknNotes".
- Right click the merged cell and choose Format Cells from the menu.
- Switch to the Protection tab and clear the Locked box.
Unlock cells (Click to enlarge)
- Switch to the Alignment tab. You may like to set the Horizontal option to Left, set the Vertical option to Top. Check the Wrap text option.
- Switch to the Border tab. Set the border type as needed.
- Set other options as needed.
- Click OK to close the Format Cells dialog box.
- Enter a text label for the newly created notes field, e.g. Notes or Comment.
- The maximal length of a text field in the backend database is 255 characters. You can create a Data Validation to limit the number of characters that can be entered into the notes field. To do this in Excel 2000 - 2003, click Excel menu Data -> Validation; Or, in Excel 2007/2010, go to the Data tab and in the Data Tools group click Data Validation.
In the Allow box, choose Text Length. In the Minimum box enter 1, and in the Maximum box enter 255. Set other validation options as needed.
Data validation (Click to enlarge)
- When finishing your customization work, exit design mode and protect the worksheet again.
- For more information about customizing the template, please see Customizing the Invoice Template.