Sample Invoice Template: Using Line# as Product IDs
Tip: You can find another tutorial on the same topic: Sample Invoice Template: Replacing the Product IDs with Line Numbers.
There are cases you don't need the product management feature of, but want to display a number in the cells of the standard invoice template - the line # must appear automatically when you enter a product description on a line of the invoice body.
The following tutorial shows you how to do it in the standard invoice template included in .
Note: Thewon't work if you customize the template in this way, since product reports are generated based on Product IDs.
- Make a backup copy of your invoice template using Windows explorer. This makes sure that you can easily return to the currently working template if any mistake is made during customization.
- Open your template.
- Unprotect the Customizing the Invoice Template. worksheet. For information about how to do this in Excel, see
- Switch the invoice template into design mode. For information about how to do this in Excel, see Customizing the Invoice Template.
- Drag your mouse to select all Product ID cells.
- In Excel 2000/XP/2003, click menu
Or in Excel 2007/2010, go to thetab and choose from the group.
- On the window, click . This removes all the data validations applied to the cells. Click to close the window.
- Click the cell on the first line of the invoice body to select it. Enter the formula into the formula bar and press Enter.
- Repeat the above step for each line of the invoice body. For example, on the second line you enter for the cell; on the third line, you enter for the cell. Note the numbers in the formula are replaced with the corresponding line #.
- Since the template does not utilize the product management feature of , you can safely delete all product-selection icon buttons. To delete a button, click it to select it, and then hit the Delete key on your keyboard.
- Drag your mouse to select all the cells, right click one of them and choose from the menu.
- Go to the tab and check the option.
- You may also like to replace the original "Product ID" label with a more meaningful one. For example, "Line #" or "#" are all suitable for this template.
- Now you have finished your customization. Exit design mode and protect the template. For information about how to do this in Excel, see Customizing the Invoice Template.
Tip: The free invoice template can also be customized in the same way.
Click the following links to download the template created in this tutorial: