Sample Invoice Template: Replacing the Product IDs with Line Numbers
Tip: Click the following link to visit another tutorial on Sample Invoice Template: Using Line# as Product IDs
Sometimes invoice template of , or simply replace the column with a column indicating the line numbers. This tutorial tells you the detailed steps for such customization.s are not essential for invoicing and one would like to remove/hide the column included in the default/standard
is an important field in -- it is the only field that uniquely identifies a product or service. For this reason, we don't recommend you to delete the cells completely. What we will do is to just move the cells out of the .
- Backup your invoice template. This ensures that you can restore to a working template in case the template that you are customizing is damaged.
- Open the invoice template.
- Unprotect the How?) worksheet. (
- Switch to design mode. (How?)
- Display gridlines and row/column headers. (How?)
- Drag your mouse to select all the cells.
- Push your mouse key on the border of the selected area, drag the selected area to an empty area, say column A.
- Push the key on your keyboard and click the product-selection icon buttons one-by-one, to select all the product-selection icon buttons.
- Click one of the selected icon buttons, and drag it to an empty area, say column B.
- Replace the label " " with " ".
- Drag your mouse to select the first two cells below the label. Click the button on the toolbar.
- Repeat the above step to merge all the cells used by the Product ID cells and icon buttons, row by row.
- Push the key on your keyboard and click the cell 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 (top to bottom) on the newly created column.
- Right-click one of the selected cell and choose from the menu.
- On the tab, choose the silver gray color from the color table, and then click .
- Drag your mouse to select all the cells on the column, right click one of the selected cells, and choose .
- Go to the tab, add the left and bottom border. Click .
- Click the first cell on the
This formula tells Excel that if the firstcell is not empty then display "1" in the first cell.
column, enter the following formula for it:
- Repeat the above step, enter one formula for each of the other
And for the third cell, you enter:
cell. When entering the formulas,
replace the numbers with the corresponding row numbers. For example, for the second cell you enter:
- Fine tune the invoice template, by adjusting the fonts, colors, alignments of the cells.
- Hide gridlines and row/column headers.
- Exit design mode.
- Protect the worksheet.
Click the following link to download the invoice template we created in this tutorial. Click this link to download a free invoice template.