Sample Invoice Template - Long Product Description was revised and published on our new site Invoicingtemplates.com, at invoice template with long product description, in the Sales Invoice Template category, as both a free invoice template and a template that works with Uniform Invoice Software. Please visit our new site for the updated documents and download links of this template (Sample Invoice Template - Long Product Description).
Sometimes you may need to enter long product descriptions on the invoice body. For example, if
you are in the service business you may need 2 or more lines of space to show the detailed information
about your service. You may also want to cut down the number of rows shown on the invoice body.
Tip: You can download the sample template from the bottom of this page.
This tutorial goes through the steps of customizing the standard invoice form to create a
sample invoice template which supports long/multiple-line product description. We will also move
all the Product ID cells out of the Print_Area to leave more space for the Product Description
cells, and hide several rows on the invoice body to fit the invoice form into standard A4 papers.
- Copy the standard invoice template (INVOICE.xls) in the
installation folder of Excel Invoice Manager, or copy your customized version of the invoice
template. Name the new template LongProductName.xls.
- Open the LongProductName.xls template in Microsoft Excel.
- Unprotect the Invoice worksheet by clicking Excel menu
Tools -> Protection -> Unprotect Sheet.
- Switch the invoice template into design mode by clicking the Design Mode
button on the Control Toolbox toolbar. If the
Control Toolbox toolbar is not displayed,
click Excel menu View -> Toolbars
-> Control Toolbox.
In design mode, Excel Invoice Manager does not react to the click events on the ActiveX
objects, allowing you to move, resize, add or delete ActiveX objects in the invoice template.
- Display gridlines and row/column headers by clicking Excel menu Tools -> Options
and then checking the corresponding options on the View tab.
- The default invoice template has 12 rows on the invoice body. To make sure the
customized template can be fit into one page, we need to hide several rows. In this example,
we will hide 6 rows and leave 6 rows on the invoice body.
Note: Please hide appropriate number of rows to make sure there are enough rows leaved on
the invoice body for you to create all your invoices. However, the rows you hide must be the
last ones since Excel Invoice Manager validates the invoice body from top to bottom. For
example, if you want to hide 3 rows and leave 9 rows on the invoice body, then hide row 10, 11, 12.
To do this, firstly we need to move out all the ActiveX controls (Taxable checkboxes,
Product-Selection icon buttons) belonging to the last 6 rows. Push the CTRL key, click each
of them, release the CTRL key, drag and drop all the 12 controls to an unused area, such as
Move controls (Click to enlarge)
- Drag your mouse on the row headers of the last 6 rows to select them, right click one of
the row headers and choose Hide.
Hide rows (Click to enlarge)
- Push the CTRL key, click to select all the Product-Selection icon buttons on row 1 to
row 6. Release the CTRL key, move all the icon buttons to the left of the checkbox controls.
Move icon buttons (Click to enlarge)
- Drag your mouse to select all the Product ID cells. Push down your left mouse key on
the border of the selected area and drag it to an unused area. In this example, we want to
be able to view the product id once a product is selected, so we put the Product ID cells
in column A.
Move Product ID cells (Click to enlarge)
- Select all the Product Description cells below the Description
label. Click the Merge and Center button on the Formatting toolbar
to unmerge them.
Unmerge the Description cells (Click to enlarge)
- Select all cells whose name prefixed with oknProductName_ (below the Description label). Push down
your left mouse key on the border of the selected area and drag it to the first column
(column F) of the invoice body.
Move the Description cells (Click to enlarge)
- Push your left mouse key on the cell named oknProductName_1
and drag to select all the cells you want to use for the new Product Description cell.
Click the Merge and Center button on the Formatting
toolbar to merge it, and then click the Align Left button
on the same toolbar.
Merge cells (Click to enlarge)
Note: After merging, make sure the cell name "oknProductName_1" is displayed
in the name box of the formula bar. If it is not, click Excel menu Insert -> Name ->
Define to point the "oknProductName_1"
name to the new merged product description cell.
- Repeat the above step to create (merge) the other 5 product description cells.
- Drag your mouse to select all product description cells. Right click one of them and choose
the Format Cells command. Switch to the Alignment
tab, check the Wrap Text option. Click OK
to close the Format Cells window.
Format a cell (Click to enlarge)
- Now drag your mouse on the row headers to select all 6 rows on the invoice body. Right click one
of the row headers and choose Row Height. By default, the row height
is 20. Now we set it to 40.
Set row height(Click to enlarge)
- Though all the Taxable checkboxes and Product-Selection
icon buttons have their "Move but don't size with cells" options
checked, sometimes Excel still fails to move the ActiveX controls when the row height is increased.
Drag and drop the ActiveX controls to the proper location manually if you encounter this problem.
Tip: Use the keyboard arrow keys to move the ActiveX controls slightly. To accurately position a
control, you can also right-click the control and choose Properties,
and then set the Left and Top properties.
- Now the customization work is almost done. All the things left to do is to format the template -
set colors, borders, labels, fonts, etc. You can do most of the job with the Format Cells
dialog, which can be opened by right-click a cell and choose the Format Cells command from the menu.
- When finishing your customization work, exit design mode and protect the worksheet again.
- Don't forget to print-preview the template by clicking Excel menu File -> Print Preview.
Make sure you invoices can be printed on the paper size you choose.
Here is an example of a printed invoice.
Printed invoice sample (Click to enlarge)
Note: In the default database definition, the size of the Product Description (Product Name) field is
100 characters. This means you can save up to 100 characters in the Product Description field to the
backend database. If this is still not enough for you, you can use an enhanced version of Database
Designer to modify the field size - please contact us for the details.
Click here to download the sample invoice template created in this tutorial.