Invoice Form with Fixed or Static Product / Service Items
The invoice form created in this tutorial has some of the cells locked or fixed on the product/service item lines. The static cells won't be cleared when you click the button.
If all or many invoices in your company always list the same products or services in the same order, you can use the technique detailed here to create an invoice form with static product/service items, so that you do not have to pick items from the product list again and again.
Tip: The sample invoice form can be downloaded from the bottom of this page.
- First of all, make sure you have finished all the basic customization work, such as replacing the default LOGO image, entering your company information, etc. Please see Setting up Company Information, Tax and Database for information on how to do this.
- Copy your invoice template file; name the new file "StaticInvoiceTemplate.xls".
Please just fill in the product or service items that should be locked or fixed, and fill in the items in the order that you want them to appear on all the invoices.
; fill in some product item lines.
- Unprotect the Customizing the Invoice Template for more information. worksheet if it is protected, by clicking Excel menu -> -> in Excel 2003, or in Excel 2007/2010 click the button in the group of the tab. Please see
Note: Thecells can also be locked. In the default/standard template, the values of the cells are linked to a group of check boxes, and the actual value cells are put into a hidden column . So to lock all or some of the Taxable cells:
key on your keyboard, click those cells that have to be locked - i.e. the cells on the , and columns with data filled.
- Display gridlines and row/column headers. (How?)
- Drag your mouse from B to F on the column headers to select the columns.
- Right-click one of the selected columns, choose from the context menu. (To hide the column again later, choose from the context menu.)
- Now you can see the
Tip: You might want to lock some of thecells too.
cells. Push key and select those cells that need to be locked.
- Right-click one of the selected cells, choose from the context menu.
- Click the tab.
- Check the option.
- Protect the worksheet by clicking Excel menu -> -> . Or in Excel 2007/2010, click the button in the group of the tab.
- Save the template by clicking Excel menu -> in Excel 2000/XP/2003, or button -> in Excel 2007, or -> in Excel 2010 .
- Now if you click the " " button, it won't clear those locked cells.
Tip: You can use several templates on the same computer, for example you can use two invoice forms or templates - one with locked cells and another without locked cells in case you need to adjust the product items.
Tip: With the Pro edition of Difference between Editions for more information., you can open up to 3 templates concurrently on the same computer. The Enterprise edition does not have this limitation. Please see
Tip: You can also apply this technique to the free invoice form to have some cells locked or become static.
Please download the sample invoice form / template created in this tutorial: